Some basic information about the Rosary:
- It is prayed holding Rosary Beads and fingering the beads as each prayer is said. Fingering the beads helps to keep count of the prayers and avoid distractions.
- It is a biblical prayer in its content; the prayer focuses on the life of Christ from the Scriptures. Mary, who knew Christ the best and is the first among the saints, prays the Rosary along with us.
- It is both a mental prayer, and a vocal prayer. The person praying meditates on the life of Christ accompanied by St. Mary and on their own life in relationship to his life.
- It is a prayer that can be prayed individually or with a group.
- It consists of several prayers; the Sign of the Cross, Apostles Creed, Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be to the Father and the Hail Holy Queen.
- It is structured by four major sets of mysteries in the life of Christ and Mary: The Joyful Mysteries, Mysteries of Light, Sorrowful Mysteries and Glorious Mysteries. Each of these are sub-divided into five specific events involved in the mystery. The Rosary beads are divided into five decades, (sets of 10); each decade represents a mystery and the prayer of the Hail Mary is said holding each bead.
Click here for Interactive Rosary